Why the West Rules - for Now

Today I started downloading a large audio book to my I-Pod, Why the West Rules - for Now. This heavy book was written by Ian Morris, read by Antony Ferguson. According to Amazon reviews, it spanks fifty thousand years of history and offers fresh insights on human development on nearly every page. People are also saying that it is deeply researched and brilliantly argued.

Right now many worry that China and India spells the end of the West as a superpower. There is a real possibility that India and China will be the next superpowers. To understand what is happening, we need to look back in time and understand why the West became the superpower in the first place. Readers are saying that the book reveals differences of race, culture, individual striving  geography, and populations explaining why the West dominates. As geography and human ingenuity continue to interact, the world will change in astonishing ways.



The New York Times wrote a meaty book review. The Daily Beast also reviewed this book, quoting Winston Churchill. "The farther backwards you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see."
The Guardian, Economist, Seattle PI, and Stanford University all published reviews. The common theme in all of these reviews is, to make sense of the forces that shape our world, we have to look deep into the past.

The audiobook has twenty-one discs. I am going to start listening to it tonight. I plan on listening to the book when I take the children out for their walks. I will also listen to it when I am on the bus or in the subway. I invite my readers to download the book and listen to it with me. I linked the audio book below so you can check it out on Amazon.  I expect to be finished listening to it in a few weeks.  I hope many of you will join in!

XXX OOO - Naomi





Comments

Popular Posts